2020 - 2021 Season Events
Chino Hills, CA - August 3, 2020
For Immediate Release
The Southwest Music Education Association and the California State Band Championships are affiliated non-profit organizations that support music education and music competitions in California and beyond. In order to best meet the needs of all stakeholders, the joint board of directors have announced the following offerings for the 2020 - 2021 school years.
- SWMEA Music Advocacy Network
- SWMEA will be a resource for the musical arts community for music advocacy information, education, and partnership.
- V-Max Education Clinics
- The MAX experience (Marching Arts Experience) has been expanded to V-MAX: The Virtual Musical Arts Experience.
- Online master classes will be offered for Music Teachers, Coaches, Students, and Community Members in various areas throughout the fall.
- FREE Virtual Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- Individuals and Small Ensembles (if feasible with social distancing or through the use of technology) will be able to submit their performance to be evaluated by our judges.
- Master classes will be given by industry professionals at the beginning of the process to help prepare the students for their submission.
- Top performances will be highlighted during a live capstone master class and featured as the paradigm for excellence.
- Schools and students will have access to this resource at no charge.
- CSBC to expand its competition offerings to CSBC Winds and CSBC Jazz.
- CSBC Winds will be an indoor marching competition offered between March and May. Competition dates and locations will be announced at a later date
- CSBC Winds is a WGI Circuit Partner. CSBC Winds will support the WGI Competition format and adjudication criteria.
- CSBC Jazz will be offered on the same day at the same location as the CSBC Winds competitions, but will be in a different venue at that location.
- CSBC Jazz will offer quality adjudication and clinics from education professionals as well as active performing artists.
SWMEA and CSBC strive for excellence in partnering with schools and independent performing ensembles. While a traditional field competition season will not be held in the fall of 2020, the above offerings are an expansion to the current areas of service and not in lieu of the fall activities. The joint board of directors looks to the future with these new and innovative offerings and is excited to add these offerings to our annual line-up.